Research in Motion stealth take over. It clever, very clever.$RIMM $RY
Research in Motion (Nasdaq:RIMM) announced the supposed rearrangement of chairs on the Titanic. The two senior guys Balsillie and Lazaridis announced that they will be stepping down tomorrow. They will still be on the board and they will still continue to hold huge personal investments in Research in Motion.
The key critical chess move is the appointment of former Toronto Stock Exchange chief Barbara Stymiest will become chairman of the board of directors. Ms. Stymiest has been a director since 2007. Royal Bank of Canada (NYSE:RY) had previously hired Ms. Stymiest to a new role of chief operating officer during a management overhaul in 2004 after a slump in the U.S. eroded profit at the bank. She was responsible for “strategic development,” with all corporate areas reporting to her, including finance and risk management.
Fortune magazine named her one of the 50 most powerful women in global business three times from 2006 to 2008, and she was named one of the “25 Most Powerful Women in Banking” in 2008 by American Banker.
Forget about the iPhone consumer battles. Research in Motion is all about security. Many countries want to access Blackberry networks internal systems so they can spy on supposed internal enemies. American and Russian security types have spoken very well of Blackberry security strength.
This strength in security is important to financial institutions and credit card operators. So with Ms Stymiest sitting at the top who is the very best to maximize shareholder wealth including Lazaridis and Balsille.
Hedge fund activists who want a strategy to compete with iPhone and other smart phones do not know what they are asking for.
George Gutowski writes from a caveat emptor perspective.
- $RIMM offers free Apps. Read about clever enterprise strategy in play. #apps #smartphone (financialskeptic.wordpress.com)
- $RIMM Music app is ready. Who cares? Make me safe then I care. #Blackberry #iPhone (financialskeptic.wordpress.com)
- Does Carl Icahn use a Blackberry $RIMM #carlicahn #iPhone (financialskeptic.wordpress.com)
- Visa American Express or MasterCard will buy $RIMM Security the leading edge for smartphone transactions $AXP $V $MA (financialskeptic.wordpress.com)
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
- $IBM Dividend Sustainable or Engineered? Trend Lines no Work Good.
- Wal-Mart, US Tax Returns and Subterfuge $WMT
- Encana Crash and Borrow Dividend Burn $ECA Integrity When You Borrow. Yeah Right!
- Canadian Banks Trending for Disaster. Run, Hide the Children, Growing buzz says its gonna be bad. $RY, $TD, $BMO, $BNS, $CM
- Will Microsoft Change Dividend or Share Buy Back Strategy with New CFO; $MSFT
- Jamie Dimon Imitates James Cagney $JPM $XLF “Why You Dirty Rat”
- Googles Tax Problem; Uncle Sams Opportunity; Thank You Europe $GOOG, $YHOO, $FB, $TWIT
- Google Achilles Heel; European Income Taxes; Not so Good for Google $GOOG $YHOO $FB $TWIT
- Barrick Gold Conundrum; Commodities and Interest Rates Must Snake Correctly; Good Luck $ABX $GLD
- ISS recommends against 3 directors on JP Morgan Board. $JPM
- Can an Oracle be a Twitter $TWIT $BRK.A $BRK.B #SEC #REGFD
- Warren Buffett Joins Twitter. Look who he is following! $TWIT $BRK.A $BRK.B
- accounting problems
- Behavioural Investing
- Black Swan
- Black Swans
- Board of Directors
- caveat emptor
- Caveat Emptor Perspective
- CEO compensation
- Class Action
- Dividend Income
- Due Diligence
- Earnings Forecasts & Guidance
- Financial Engineering
- Free Cash Flow
- hedge fund
- Insider Trading
- Investor Education
- Investor Relations
- M & A
- money flow
- Reg FD
- Share Buy Back
- Shareholder Activist
- Shareholder Litigation
- Short Interest
- Sneaky Corporate Stuff
- Social Media
- Take Over Targets
- Value Investing
- Value Trap
- Wall of Worry