ITW ignores balance sheet debt issues. Suspicious focus on sunshine earnings. Strange narrative tactic. $ITW
ITW (NYSE:ITW) came out with glowing Q4 results. In a suspiciously dense headlines it focused on increasing revenues and margins. In fact Chairman and Chief Executive Officer David B. Speer. said”We produced strong top line growth, solid margin improvement and impressive free operating cash flow.” He felt it was a solid performance by Team ITW.
Then take a look at the balance sheet and lets look at a few fundamentals. Overall the cash position has not changed. So they are spending. Then look at dramatic increases in short-term and long-term debt. Approximately $1.3 billion. Large increases in debt are always dangerous. Bankers will want the money repayed.
If you read the earnings release you’ll notice a tension between organic growth and overall growth. They have bought growth but are wording the press release to give the impression that margins are improving; which makes it look as if management is working very hard.
Sounds like the PR strategy is to pretend growth is not from acquisition but from diligent management which is improving constantly. This is a dangerous narrative for investors.
George Gutowski writes from a caveat emptor perspective.
- $ITW confused about Euro operations. But everything else should be stable they think! Reg FD Challenges (financialskeptic.wordpress.com)
- How Does Manitowoc Boost Its Returns? (fool.com)
- ITW Dividend Yield Pushes Past 3% (forbes.com)
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
- $IBM Dividend Sustainable or Engineered? Trend Lines no Work Good.
- Wal-Mart, US Tax Returns and Subterfuge $WMT
- Encana Crash and Borrow Dividend Burn $ECA Integrity When You Borrow. Yeah Right!
- Canadian Banks Trending for Disaster. Run, Hide the Children, Growing buzz says its gonna be bad. $RY, $TD, $BMO, $BNS, $CM
- Will Microsoft Change Dividend or Share Buy Back Strategy with New CFO; $MSFT
- Jamie Dimon Imitates James Cagney $JPM $XLF “Why You Dirty Rat”
- Googles Tax Problem; Uncle Sams Opportunity; Thank You Europe $GOOG, $YHOO, $FB, $TWIT
- Google Achilles Heel; European Income Taxes; Not so Good for Google $GOOG $YHOO $FB $TWIT
- Barrick Gold Conundrum; Commodities and Interest Rates Must Snake Correctly; Good Luck $ABX $GLD
- ISS recommends against 3 directors on JP Morgan Board. $JPM
- Can an Oracle be a Twitter $TWIT $BRK.A $BRK.B #SEC #REGFD
- Warren Buffett Joins Twitter. Look who he is following! $TWIT $BRK.A $BRK.B
- accounting problems
- Behavioural Investing
- Black Swan
- Black Swans
- Board of Directors
- caveat emptor
- Caveat Emptor Perspective
- CEO compensation
- Class Action
- Dividend Income
- Due Diligence
- Earnings Forecasts & Guidance
- Financial Engineering
- Free Cash Flow
- hedge fund
- Insider Trading
- Investor Education
- Investor Relations
- M & A
- money flow
- Reg FD
- Share Buy Back
- Shareholder Activist
- Shareholder Litigation
- Short Interest
- Sneaky Corporate Stuff
- Social Media
- Take Over Targets
- Value Investing
- Value Trap
- Wall of Worry