Monsanto (NYSE:MON) came out charging with an unexpected blockbuster quarter. US farmers flush with last years crop failure insurance money have bought premium seeds and setting themselves up for success this summer.
Pity the investor who did not buy this stock in Aug when it was around $70. You would look very astute with the current $98 per share. So here are the issues. Dividend yield at about 1.5%. If earnings are truly up then management needs to confirm with a dividend increase.
Money flow is mildly negative at 0.92. Short interest has recently risen by 7% but is still only a snick over the 1% of public float mark. Shorts have to be covered. Increasing the dividend makes short positions more expensive. Managements usually hate short positions.
So we need a dividen hike or the market starts to belive management does not believe their own words. In that case the shorts take over.
George Gutowski writes from a caveat emptor perspective. Follow him on twitter@financialskepti or his evil twin who is writing a Wall Street Murder Thriller twitter@georgegutowski .
- $IBM Dividend Sustainable or Engineered? Trend Lines no Work Good.
- Wal-Mart, US Tax Returns and Subterfuge $WMT
- Encana Crash and Borrow Dividend Burn $ECA Integrity When You Borrow. Yeah Right!
- Canadian Banks Trending for Disaster. Run, Hide the Children, Growing buzz says its gonna be bad. $RY, $TD, $BMO, $BNS, $CM
- Will Microsoft Change Dividend or Share Buy Back Strategy with New CFO; $MSFT
- Jamie Dimon Imitates James Cagney $JPM $XLF “Why You Dirty Rat”
- Googles Tax Problem; Uncle Sams Opportunity; Thank You Europe $GOOG, $YHOO, $FB, $TWIT
- Google Achilles Heel; European Income Taxes; Not so Good for Google $GOOG $YHOO $FB $TWIT
- Barrick Gold Conundrum; Commodities and Interest Rates Must Snake Correctly; Good Luck $ABX $GLD
- ISS recommends against 3 directors on JP Morgan Board. $JPM
- Can an Oracle be a Twitter $TWIT $BRK.A $BRK.B #SEC #REGFD
- Warren Buffett Joins Twitter. Look who he is following! $TWIT $BRK.A $BRK.B
- accounting problems
- Behavioural Investing
- Black Swan
- Black Swans
- Board of Directors
- caveat emptor
- Caveat Emptor Perspective
- CEO compensation
- Class Action
- Dividend Income
- Due Diligence
- Earnings Forecasts & Guidance
- Financial Engineering
- Free Cash Flow
- hedge fund
- Insider Trading
- Investor Education
- Investor Relations
- M & A
- money flow
- Reg FD
- Share Buy Back
- Shareholder Activist
- Shareholder Litigation
- Short Interest
- Sneaky Corporate Stuff
- Social Media
- Take Over Targets
- Value Investing
- Value Trap
- Wall of Worry