JC Penney (NYSE:JCP) announced Q4 results and fully ignored Google’s imperial directives about search engine optimization. SEO if you are really into it. Google says JC Penney gamed search engine results and was taking steps to counter.
In the meantime JC Penney reported the following on its internet offering
“Internet sales through jcp.com grew $65 million to $1.5 billion for the year, increasing 4.4 percent over last year. Total sales increased 1.2 percent for the year. Total sales were approximately 130 basis points lower than same store sales due to the Company’s exit from its traditional catalog business. In 2010, catalog sales totaled $454 million.”
Not the most straight forward apples to apples comparison. But here is what should interest investors.
- No mention of Google trying to ungame JC Penney.
- No mention of jcp.com in next years outlook.
jcp.com accounts for 8.4% of of JC Penney. management cannot go to sleep.
While we are at it. Google is a commercial enterprise that is making up rules of behaviour for a competitive marketplace. Then they get upset when large reputable companies figure out ways to get around them. Will JC Penney have the basis for a restraint of trade lawsuit against Google?
Disclosure: “George Gutowski” writes from a “caveat emptor perspective”. I hold no positions in stocks mentioned in this post. I have no plans to initiate new positions within the next 72 hours.
- Google Scares JC Penney Demands Link Removal (johnchow.com)
- JC Penney Feels The Wrath Of Google For Using Spammy Techniques To Get To The Top (techdirt.com)
- JC Penney’s Black Hat SEO Gets Busted (ikroh.com)
- Why JC Penney Got Burned Buying Links (tcapushnpull.com)
- JC Penney games Google and gets a spanking (holykaw.alltop.com)
- How Google Was Gamed To Get Traffic To JC Penney (techie-buzz.com)
- NYT uncovers the tawdry, seedy tale of the SEO games of J.C. Penney (engadget.com)