Steve Jobs of Apple (Nasdaq:AAPL) finally resigned supposedly on his own terms. The Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ) Touchbook rout just icing on the cake. Everyone cannot say enough great stuff about Steve Jobs and that is the problem for Tim Cook.
Machiavellian thought counsels to not follow popular princes. Their legacy is powerful and you will be constantly compared in an unfavourable light. It is better to follow a bad prince well just like Steve Jobs did about 13 years ago. every hiccup will be Tim Cook’s fault. Steve Jobs had hiccups and worse but it was OK. He was Steve Jobs.
Tim Cook undoubtedly is an excellent choice in everything except timing which no one can control. The Apple mystique will change and for high-tech that’s a very good thing.
Disclosure: George Gutowski writes from a caveat emptor perspective. I do own iProducts. I do not have positions in any stocks mentioned in this post. I have no plans to initiate new positions within the next 72 hours.
- Two videos: Goodbye Steve Jobs. Hello Tim Cook. (tech.fortune.cnn.com)
- Twitter users respond to Steve Jobs’ decision to step down (digitaltrends.com)
- News: Tim Cook to Apple employees: ‘Apple is not going to change’ (ilounge.com)
- Tim Cook succeeds Steve Jobs as CEO of Apple (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Steve Jobs resigns: Tim Cook tells staff Apple won’t change (telegraph.co.uk)
- Tim Cook: my first-person impression of Apple’s new CEO (tuaw.com)
- Tim Cook’s First Memo To Apple Staff: “Our Culture Is In Our DNA” (paidcontent.org)