Barnes & Noble (BKS) rolled out the new Nook reader claiming that the inclusion of colour and aiming it partially at kids will be a marketing win. The price point does not skim the bottom of the barrel. The inclusion of colour is only a temporary advantage and will be easily matched by upgrades from competing products. Advertisers will want color to ensure their messages are more compelling.
The children’s market is compelling. You do spend money for the little ones. But it is the parent that spends. No information on how the parent is being engaged. So the children’s market may become an unfulfilled dream.
Barnes and Noble is huge in college and university text books. Students have to buy the material. The value proposition of digitizing learning materials is huge. University students will adopt technology. University students will look to save money. When will the nook play here? Significantly that is.
This is not the compelling e-reader move. So what if the heads of education in the five largest states get together and mandate digitized e-reader style text books and learning materials. The volume would compel text-book purveyors to re-purpose their material and lower costs.
William Lynch, Chief Executive Officer of Barnes & Noble said “reading anything and everything in brilliant color is the killer app…”
Disclosure: George Gutowski writes from a caveat emptor perspective. I hold no positions in stocks mentioned in this post.
- Barnes & Noble unveils Nook Color for $249 (walletpop.com)
- Barnes & Noble Announces Its Nook™ Products to Be the Exclusive Ereading Devices Sold at Books-a-million (eon.businesswire.com)
- Barnes & Noble Brings Storytime to Life with NOOK kids™ Breakthrough Digital Reading Experience for Children (eon.businesswire.com)
- Barnes & Noble Are Turning the Nook Into a Full Colour e-Reader (crenk.com)
- Barnes & Noble’s Nook Color: E-reader or closet Android tablet? (zdnet.com)
- Barnes & Noble Color Nook in Sight (pamil-visions.net)
- Barnes & Noble unveils color Nook e-reader (mnn.com)
- Barnes & Noble Launches The Nook Color (inquisitr.com)
- Nook Color: Barnes & Noble’s $250 Full-Color Tablet With Apps, Mags and Books (Sam Biddle/Gizmodo) (techmeme.com)
- Live At The Barnes & Noble Nook Event (crunchgear.com)
- Barnes & Noble unveils Nook Color: e-reader or tablet lite? (dvice.com)
- Will Barnes & Noble Release A New Nook Today? [OPEN THREAD] (mashable.com)
- Barnes & Noble announces the Color Nook (blogs.consumerreports.org)
- Color Nook eReader Unveiled By Barnes & Noble (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Barnes & Noble introduces color Nook (seattletimes.nwsource.com)